How Important is a Domain Name for SEO? Most experts agree, it is not very important from a pure SEO standpoint. There are some advantages you can gain from having a good domain name, but those advantages are just a drop in the SEO bucket. A good domain name is much more important from a branding standpoint, but that is another discussion. Follow these tips and you should be ok:
- Keep your domains as short as possible. Extremely long domain names are a sign to search engines that they contain spammy content.
- Choose a .com domain name. This is definitely more of a branding advantage, but I have read that .com domains will most likely rank better than other extensions if all other factors are even.
- Include your keyword(s) in your domain if possible. For example, if you are selling domain names, something along the lines of buydomains.com would do nicely.
- It is ok to use dashes in your domain name, but as stated before, be careful of these names becoming too long.
- If you are buying an existing domain, check the internet archives to make sure the domain was not used for spam purposes.
After you have secured your domain, focus on creating quality content, which will hopefully attract links to your site.